Pages

Thursday, August 27

Sounds of Silence

It was raining that night. I could hear the thunder, frightening in its intensity. As usual, the electricity had conked off with the first hint of lightening. I was alone in the house; thoughts raged through my head.

I stumbled through the dark towards the phone by the window. Even in my inebriated state, I knew her number as well as my own. The past six months hadn't affected my memory. With every digit that I dialled, I felt my heart pound. Would she answer; would she not?

The wait seemed forever. Then, I heard her voice. But I could not muster the courage to speak. I swallowed the lump in my throat. I wondered why she didn't hang up. Did she recognize me, even in my silence? She always did before. All the things left unsaid screamed to be let out. But only silence flowed through the telephone wire. It had always been like this between us, each waiting for the other to make the first move.

The rain drops pattered and the thunder crashed. It was just me and her, and the sounds of silence between us.


This was a little something that a bunch of us wrote in grammar class. It was of course, impromptu. Each of us took turns making a sentence; just taking off from where the other had left. With every line the story changed. Until the very end, no one knew where it was going.

Well, what do you think?

Whatever you think, I absolutely dig it and I'm going to do more of this kind.

1 comment:

  1. I dig too. Absolutely do.
    You should definitely do more of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?